As the final chapter of the year unfolds, December’s festive spirit ushers in a sense of celebration, warmth, and renewal. Alongside this enchanting atmosphere, December’s birth flowers, Narcissus and Holly, bring an unparalleled charm and beauty that reflect the essence of this joyous month. At Welch, a Nottingham-based florist delivering flowers nationwide, we cherish the symbolism and significance of these captivating winter blooms, guiding you in your quest to find the most meaningful and delightful floral tribute for the cherished December-born people in your life.
Dive into the alluring worlds of Narcissus and Holly, exploring their rich history, evocative symbolism, and breathtaking elegance. Additionally, gain valuable insights on how to select, care for, and present these beguiling birth flowers, ensuring that your floral offerings leave an enduring mark of affection and admiration in the hearts of your loved ones. Embark on this enchanting journey with Welch as we illuminate the splendour and grace of December birth flowers and unveil the perfect tokens of love and appreciation for those born within the season of festive cheer.
Narcissus: Symbolism, Origins, and Enchanting Beauty
Narcissus, commonly known as daffodil, is the flower of December, symbolising rebirth, new beginnings, and hope. Its name originates from Greek mythology, where the beautiful youth Narcissus falls in love with his reflection and transforms into a stunning flower, forever gazing upon his own image near the water’s edge. This mythical tale has imbued the flower with added charm and a sense of intrigue.
Native to the Mediterranean region, Narcissus has been cultivated for centuries, with evidence of its cultivation dating back to the ancient Egyptian and Greek civilisations. Revered for their aesthetic, therapeutic, and symbolic qualities, Narcissus flowers have captivated the hearts and minds of countless generations. Testament to their lasting appeal, these timeless blooms have been immortalised by renowned artists and poets, such as Vincent van Gogh and William Wordsworth.
Narcissus flowers widely vary in colour and form, ranging from the classic yellow trumpet-like variety to more unconventional species such as the delicate, fragrant, and white-flowered Narcissus tazetta. When selecting December birth flowers, consider the preferences of your loved ones, choosing Narcissus blooms that best capture their unique beauty and essence.
Holly: The Quintessential Winter Symbol
In addition to Narcissus, Holly serves as a symbolic representation of the December birth flower, evoking the festive spirit and wintry charm so often associated with this time of year. With its striking, evergreen foliage and vibrant red berries, Holly signifies protection, resilience, and eternal life—a fitting tribute to the spirit of the season.
The use of Holly in winter celebrations dates back to the ancient Roman festival of Saturnalia, where it was used as a symbol of good fortune, a tradition later absorbed and adapted by Christian festivities. In Medieval Europe, Holly was thought to ward off evil spirits and bring about good luck and harmony. Consequently, Holly branches were often hung upon doorways to protect homes from malign forces.
While not a traditional flower, Holly’s unique attributes and festive connotations make it a perfect accompaniment to the elegant Narcissus when celebrating and honouring those born in December.
Choosing the Perfect December Birth Flower: Tips and Inspiration
To choose the ideal December birth flower for your friends, family members, or loved ones, consider the following factors:
1. Recipient’s Preferences: Reflect upon the recipients’ favourite colours, styles, and personal tastes, selecting Narcissus or Holly arrangements that complement their preferences.
2. Setting: Consider where the recipients might display the flowers and choose arrangements that suit their living spaces and complement existing décor.
3. Symbolism: Narcissus symbolises rebirth and new beginnings, while Holly represents protection and eternal life. Choose the flower that resonates most profoundly with your loved ones.
4. Pairing: Combine the exquisite beauty of Narcissus with the festive charm of Holly for a memorable, meaningful, and incredibly visually appealing arrangement.
Caring for Narcissus and Holly: Maintain Their Beauty and Vitality
Ensure that your December birth flowers remain vibrant and beautiful throughout the festive season by following these care tips:
1. Narcissus: Regularly change the water and trim the stems at a 45-degree angle, allowing for optimal hydration. It is essential to keep Narcissus flowers separate from other flowers, as they release a sap that may be harmful to other blooms. Store Narcissus arrangements in a cool, bright location, away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
2. Holly: Prolong the beauty of Holly by immediately immersing freshly cut stems in warm water, trimming the ends diagonally, and removing any lower leaves that could contaminate the water. Keep Holly’s arrangements in a cool, dimly lit location, replenishing the water regularly.
December Birth Flowers and Festive Floral Arrangements
December is a month replete with festive occasions and celebrations, providing ample opportunities to incorporate Narcissus and Holly into your holiday decorations and floral arrangements. Whether given as thoughtful gifts or used to enhance your seasonal celebrations, these quintessential winter blooms have the power to enrich and elevate any festive setting.
Explore the various ways you can incorporate December birth flowers into your festive celebrations:
1. Gift Giving: Present Narcissus and Holly arrangements as thoughtful and symbolic gifts, embodying the spirit of the season and the sentiment of new beginnings.
2. Table Settings: Adorn tables with centrepieces featuring Narcissus and Holly creating a captivating visual aesthetic that evokes the warmth, joy, and promise of the festive period.
3. Doorways: Enhance your home’s entrance by weaving Holly into elegant garlands and wreaths, welcoming guests with a symbol of protection and eternal life.
4. Seasonal Displays: Combine Narcissus blooms and Holly branches with other festive elements such as pinecones, candles, and ribbons, fashioning sophisticated and elegant displays throughout your home.
Embrace the enchanting beauty and symbolism of December birth flowers, and let them serve as guiding forces of inspiration as you commemorate the magical moments, achievements, and milestones shared with your loved ones throughout the year. Capture the essence of the season with the captivating allure of Narcissus and Holly, and cherish the memories that will no doubt endure for years to come.
Honour December Birthdays with Striking Floral Gifts from Welch
December birth flowers—Narcissus and Holly—captivate with their charm, history, and symbolism, creating an unforgettable and evocative tribute to your loved ones born within this magical and festive month. At Welch, our experienced team takes immense pleasure in guiding you through the process of selecting and arranging these enchanting blooms, turning your floral dreams and visions into reality. By choosing the perfect December birth flowers and following proper care techniques, you can craft a gift that genuinely echoes the sentiment behind the festive season and the affection you hold for your December-born friends and family members. Allow the expertise of Welch to elevate your floral gifting experience. Visit our website today and explore our beautiful collection of Narcissus and Holly arrangements—the perfect way to say “Happy Birthday” to your special someone this December.